Lee County under Winter Storm watch

The gray areas in this National Weather Service map represents at Winter Storm Watch. The purple area is the Ice Storm Warning, which is, for now, staying south of the local area.

 

 

 

 

 

BY CHUCK VANDENBERG

PCC EDITOR

FORT MADISON – Weather predictions, being what they are..are indicating a wintry mix for Fort Madison and a winter weather watch for Lee County this weekend.

Lee County Emergency Management Services Director Steve Cirinna said most of the precarious weather is supposed to stay south of us, but just slightly south so residents should pay attention.

“Basically be careful, and keep an eye on the weather,” he said. “Realistically, we’re not expecting anything really bad like power outages or anything, but we have to keep checking.”

The national weather service is predicting less than a 30% chance of precipitation today and Saturday in the form of freezing rain and sleet, with that increasing to a 70% chance on Sunday and Sunday night with total accumulations of around .1 of an inch of ice, as of current weather models.

The website weather.gov/quadcities is predicting the following for our weather pattern for this weekend for Lee County.

Tonight
A slight chance of freezing rain before 2.a.m, then a chance of freezing rain and sleet between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., then a chance of freezing rain after 3 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 22. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday
A slight chance of freezing rain and sleet before 7 a.m, then a slight chance of freezing rain between 7 a.m. and noon. Cloudy, with a high near 32. North wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday Night
Cloudy, with a low around 24. North wind around 5 mph.
Sunday
Freezing rain likely, possibly mixed with snow and sleet before 1pm, then rain or freezing rain likely between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m., then sleet likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain after 5 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Little or no snow and sleet accumulation expected.
Sunday Night
A chance of freezing rain and sleet before 8 p.m., then a chance of rain or freezing rain between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m., then rain likely after 11 p.m. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

About Chuck Vandenberg 1291 Articles
Pen City Current and pencitycurrent.com are products of Market Street Publishing, LLC, a multi-platform media company delivering hyper-local news, sports and advertising information to Fort Madison, IA and surrounding communities.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply