BY PCC STAFF
At 5:42 PM Saturday January 20, 2018, the Fort Madison Fire Department was dispatched to 1560 Avenue M for a structure fire with visible fire coming from the roof. Firefighters arrived within 2 minutes and found fire coming from the roof of the residence around a wood stove chimney.
There were no occupants at the time of the fire. Firefighters were able to contain the fire damage to the roof section immediately around the chimney. Besides the fire damage to the roof, a portion of the interior sustained some water damage as well from the firefighting efforts. The damage from the fire and water was estimated at
Owner of the building is Travis Schroeder. The fire started where the chimney went through the roof.
Firefighters remained on the scene until 7:16 PM. The on-duty crew was assisted by all available off duty personnel. The Fort Madison Police Department and Lee County Ambulance were also on the scene to assist. There were no injuries.