Monday evening fire does damage to west end home

CHUCK VANDENBERG
PCC EDITOR

FORT MADISON – A Wednesday evening fire has left a Clearview Heights home with smoke and fire damage.

LeeComm dispatched Montrose firefighters to 2648 Clearview Heights where smoke was reported in the crawl space of the home, according to Kent Brisby with the Montrose Fire Department.

Brisby said a chimney flue may have malfunctioned causing heat to build up in the chimney and then eventually caught fire.

“When we first got there there was a small tent of smoke in a crawl space. We went out to get something out of the truck and when we turned around smoke was coming from the eaves, It turned that fast,” Brisby said.

He said the chimney was cement and could also have been plugged up and when it broke into flames it was initially contained in the chimney itself but eventually spread inside nearby walls.

The home, owned by Jason Lampe, suffered major smoke damage and damage to walls and drywall near the chimney.

“We had to tear up some walls to get to the fire, but the flames were contained. It did suffer heavy smoke damage throughout the house. Brisby said there were no estimates of the damage available and didn’t know if the home was still inhabitable.

Three other area fire departments were called in for mutual aid including Donnellson, Des Moines Township and Fort Madison.  Montrose had three trucks on scene and each of the other fire departments brought engines as well.

Brisby said firefighters were on the scene until about 10 p.m.

 

 

About Chuck Vandenberg 3648 Articles
Pen City Current and pencitycurrent.com are products of Market Street Publishing, LLC, a multi-platform media company delivering hyper-local news, sports and advertising information to Fort Madison, IA and surrounding communities.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply