BY CHUCK VANDENBERG
MONTROSE – A late night fire in rural Lee County has destroyed a man’s home.
Firefighters from the Des Moines Township Fire & Rescue and Montrose Fire & Rescue were called out to the 2100 block of 320th Avenue in southwestern Lee County at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night to a home that was burning.
The home belongs to Gabe Arne, 33, of rural Montrose. Firefighters were on the scene for close to three hours extinguishing the blaze and then were called back to the scene at about 7 a.m. this morning when embers reignited the scorched timbers that were left standing.
Support local journalism. Make your Pen City Current subscription donation here.
Arne was at the scene again Wednesday morning and said the cause hasn’t been determined. Fire officials at the scene were different than those that originally fought the fire and had no comment on the cause.
Arne said he believed the fire started in his bedroom.
“I was just off shift from Siemens and when I got home I saw smoke so I went in to see what was going on and decided to get out and call the fire department,” Arne said.
“Right when I got out of the house, that’s when it caught on fire.”
Arne said he was the only one living in the home. He said everything was insured and he had a place to stay while the loss works it’s way through the insurance claim.
He said the home was built sometime in the 1960s and he had been living in the single-story home for the past seven years.