Minor injury, dog lost in morning Sandusky fire


SANDUSKY – An early morning fire at the Sandusky Trailer Park near Montrose resulted in one minor injury and the death of a pet.

According to a Montrose fire official, a call came into LeeComm just after 5:30 a.m. of a trailer on fire in the park located in the 2700 block 340th Street. All the occupants of the structure were able to escape with only a minor injury that was treated at the scene.

The fire quickly spread to an attached shed and then damaged three vehicles and some siding on a nearby camper trailer in the adjacent lot.

“When we got there the trailer and the attached shed were fully involved. The owner was at home at the time but was able to get out. We believe it was caused by a space heater,” said Jason Dinwiddie of Montrose Fire & Rescue.

“We did unfortunately lose a dog in the fire.”

Firefighters from Montrose Fire & Rescue, Jackson Township Fire & Rescue, Des Moines Township Fire & Rescue and Keokuk Fire Department were all on the scene, along with Lee County Sheriff’s deputies and Lee County Ambulance.

The scene was cleared right around 8 a.m.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: